There are two kinds of commodity price display tools in the market, the traditional paper price tag, and the electronic shelf labels, which is widely used with the rise of new retail.
The advantages and disadvantages of traditional paper price tags and electronic shelf labels are different. Retailers should choose what to do and look at the pros and cons between the two.
Paper price tag
Although the traditional paper price tag has a low initial investment cost, paper price tag has many disadvantages. The restrictions are as follows:
1. Paper price tag carrier is paper, because commodity prices are subject to change. Paper price tags cannot be reused and need to be replaced frequently, which is not environmentally friendly.
2. Manually replace the paper price tag for at least 2 minutes, the update efficiency is low, easy to be ignored and affect the promotion effect;
3. Paper price tags are easy to lose, incomplete, causing pain to consumers, affecting transactions;
4. Each channel manual, manual price adjustment is not timely, the price is not uniform, easy to cause price disputes and other negative events.
5. Paper price tag information capacity is small, can not real-time display promotional signs, inventory, etc.
At present, community supermarkets and small convenience stores still use paper price tags to display product names, specifications, prices and other information. The small, independent retailers have a smaller number of products, and it is not difficult to replace the price tag, which costs less on paper. In the short term, it is more suitable for these independent small retail stores.
Of course, such independent small retailers can also choose to use electronic shelf labels if they want to improve the efficiency of product price management and improve the overall image of the store.
Digital Price Tag
Although the initial investment cost of traditional paper price tag is low, it needs to be replaced every day, which involves the consumption of manpower, time, paper, ink and other aspects. For big supermarkets, input costs are not low. Although the cost of one-time investment in the early stage of electronic label is high, the cost of replacement and maintenance in the later stage is basically unnecessary. The use of electronic shelf labels also has the following advantages:
1. Rapid, accurate, flexible and efficient price adjustment;
2. Data validation to prevent wrong or missing pricing;
3. Synchronize with background database, keep consistent with cash register and inquiry terminal;
4. To facilitate the unified management of headquarters, effective monitoring, reduce management loopholes;
5. Effectively reduce variable costs such as labor, material and management costs;
6. Improve store image, customer satisfaction and social credibility;
Electronic commodity label can realize the remote one-click price change and synchronous price change of the same product in stores across the country, reducing the labor cost and operating cost of retail stores; MTag electronic shelf tag can also achieve a hierarchical management system, unified management of price tags at headquarters. It can also manage price tags by region and store, applicable to large supermarkets, national supermarket chains, national convenience stores and other retail stores that need to improve the efficiency of commodity price management.
In the future, with the rising labor cost, paper price tags that hinder the intelligent development of retail stores will gradually be phased out, and eink price tag may become the mainstream tool for commodity price display in the future.